Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:14:26 -0800
From:      David Smithson <david@customfilmeffects.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Archive Management

First of all, thanks to those who take the time to post here.

Second, this message should be text only.  I'm sure you'll let me know
if it's not.

Third, what is a good method for cataloging backups?  For instance, is
there a pre-designed method for creating a searchable database of tar
backups?  Or do I have to build one myself?  I'd like to be able to keep
the table of contents offline and have the ability to search by name,
date, ?type?,  etc. in order to determine which tape and at what block I
need to load to retrieve the requested file(s).

Fourth, can the "label" specified with tar be used to extract from a
tape?  I mean, if I specify --label=flotsam during --create, can I then
use --label=flotsam during --extract and expect tar to find the correct
starting block on the tape?

Thanks for your time.

-- David Smithson