Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:32:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>, Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JVM and native threads

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 05:10:10PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:12:38PM +0900, Fuyuhiko Maruyama wrote:
> > Yes, I also think we need to define some _np calls.  To do so, we need
> > to consider what APIs are really needed, defined APIs are sufficient
> > and general enough.
> >
> > We must spend more time to discuss about this issue.
>
> The primary *_np stuff we need has to do with thread resume & suspension.

The FreeBSD native threads stuff also does some nasty grovelling in the
pthread private data structure for the stack address and stack size.  I
know these are handled by _np functions on BSD/OS, but they need to be
included in any FreeBSD discussion of the pthreads APIs that we need.

I suspect this sort of discussion will also apply to NetBSD and OpenBSD.

> It's used sparingly in a couple of places with varying levels of functional
> importance like the GC and during thread creation time (new threads are
> suspended only to be woken up by the spawning function after the stack is
> attach to the VM), etc...
>
> I'm struggling with OpenMotif issues right now and I'm kind of wondering
> why the current OpenMotif port is a release version behind what's being
> offered at their site ?

Not sure.  Ask the port maintainer :).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887