Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:24:34 -0400
From:      Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        miros-discuss@mirbsd.org, misc@openbsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of NetBSD
References:  <20060830232723.GU10101@multics.mit.edu> <98f5a8830608301731s2b0663e3g94b0bd32f8a06a78@mail.gmail.com> <c6d37fe0608310259k12fe629eve59e59042fcfdb4c@mail.gmail.com> <Pine.BSM.4.64L.0608311312190.8977@odem.66h.42h.de> <950621ad0608310654h78ae0023g346abd108815ae72@mail.gmail.com> <20060831110112.J82634@hub.org> <Pine.BSM.4.64L.0608311515290.8977@odem.66h.42h.de> <1157040361.44f708e9d119d@imp3-g19.free.fr> <4166472E-4FE1-4837-8CA1-B59D9ACC0599@infinito.it> <20060831222024.H82634@hub.org>

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I'm curious here, but why did the *kernel* diverge for each project?
> Like, I understand (or think I do) the philosophy of the OpenBSD
> project, and that is high security ... but, wouldn't the security
> improvements that go into the OpenBSD kernel not be applicable to NetBSD
> / FreeBSD?  At this point, I couldn't imagine merging, but when OpenBSD
> first branched off, one would think it would have been fairly easy to
> keep the *kernel* itself relatively in sync, no?  Especially the code
> audit that I imagine went into securing the OpenBSD kernel itself ...

Because they all have different goal and way to go at it. Just think
treads as an example. NONE of them are doing it the same anymore, or
will anyway. And some wanted more features oppose to make it stable and
secure before any features were thought of. Some prefer read clean code
and do the clean up before moving forward, others just takes what's
offer by vendor and patch around it to make it work as blob.

I can think of a very long lists and I am not even a developer, so just
imagine how different it is now.

Many see it differently. Some buy hardware, the latest, etc and then
bitch that it is not working for them and expect to have it working.
Others pick an OS because of it's goal and the fact that all along it's
history, it stick to it like HELL and never compromise on it or it;s
GOAL! Then the same users that have security and stability at hart, will
look at what's supported and then buy accordingly and that also include
boycotting the blob vendor until the provide documentations for the
hardware they try to sale.

Just more example and a simple quote as recent as 4 days ago "The
interface to the hardware (the PCI layer) is different, along with the
SCSI midlayers, and the way DMA memory is dealt with." from
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060827154223 and that's
just one of many.

Or even the secure use of "strlcpy, strlcat" as an example to be more
secure all around. Even the maintainer of libc still refuse to include
them if I am not mistaken. Not all project have the same goal and go at
it the same way.

The list is just way to long to put here, way to long and I don't even
know much compare to many of the OpenBSD devs! So, just imagine the
differences.

Also, Theo said many times that OpenBSD evolve by evolutions, not
revolutions oppose to some project that will sale their mothers to get a
few more users at the price of stability and even more gross, security.

I say, no thanks.

I am sure there would/could be some benefit for all the *BSD to work
together, but for a same kernel, I don't think so. They can't even agree
to the danger of BLOB and you expect them to do one *kernel*.

Plus BSD IS NOT a KERNEL, but a FULL fledge system and pretty soon a
FULL router as well that will even give Cisco and Juniper a run for
their money, or SmartNet! (;>

End of a to long post anyway.

Best,

Daniel

PS: The only one that survive, in any situations, are always the one
sticking to their goal and they know what they are suppose to do and
where they should go! The comities are left to the endless waisting time
of the governments and manager that can only talks and do no good! But
always think the know better and will tell you how to do it, but hey, if
they knew, they would have done it already! Like we eared many times,
shutup and hack...

PSS: So, one *BSD can claim the most different platform it runs on, one
was able in history to claim to be the fastest of the *BSD, one was and
still is the most secure of not only the *BSD, but of the OS at large
and it sure didn't come over night either, but by sticking to the goal.
And finally one can claim to be run by the most amount of users, that's
the *Linux what ever flavor of the month you want. No wonder that need
the most amount of users(tester) and peer helpers to keep it running and
somewhat secure for a few hours now, well may be more at this time, but
still a very long away off. Even IBM saw the light and they said they
would run it, but they realize they can't, however, they sure see the
$$$ coming in at supporting it and may be keeping it in the dark as to
not loose their new source of income.