Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 23:06:28 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>, Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial console

* Tom <tom@uniserve.com> [010514 23:02] wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
> > How are you preventing unauthorized access via the PM2?  I haven't
> > found any way to prevent it.
>
>   What do you mean?  First of all, you assign a password to the account
> used for serial port access.  Then you assign filters on the ethernet
> interface to prevent telnet access from anything but known hosts.  Then
> you do the same thing on your gateway router.

Uh..

Still using telnet over the wild world of the net?

Here's what I do, i use a crossover to a stable barely used machine
and a serial connection as a backup from another machine.  Another
option is using a modem to dial in directly into the thing.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/