Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:40:44 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   device apic on a single processor machine

When moving from RELENG_4 to RELENG_5, I noticed that in GENERIC, the options

options         SMP             # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic            # I/O APIC

are enabled by default.  Going forward, is this the best thing to leave in
my  default kernel on a uniprocessor machine ? I am not using the ULE
scheduler either and have hyperthreading disabled in the BIOS.

I did a search on google, and in 2003 it was said not to having either on a
single processor machine but its not clear if this is no longer the case.

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike