Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:01:08 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>, Jano Lukac <jedovaty@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Next STABLE release going to be 4.4?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 05:23:48PM -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> Not as silly as the inevitable stupidity: Pentium 5.
>
> :-) / 2

First generation Pentiums (straight Pentiums) were called 586s. Second,
third, and fourth-generation Pentiums (Pro, II, III, respectively) are
called 686s. If we consider that Pentium is so named because it's the
fifth generation Intel processor, we ought to take the Pentium III to be
the third generation of Pentiums (but it's really the fourth), and we
ought to call consider the prefix pent as 5, and III as 3, so that the
Pentium III yields 8 and is thus an 886. But no, it's a 686.

Now what about the P4? Is that still the 686 core? If so, the situation
is even worse now. So while Pentium 5 isn't inherently stupid (it's just
a fifth-generation pentium), it is bad for Intel because it's really the
sixth generation of Pentium chip, and it might be called a 686, 786, or
even 886.

Boy, now I'm really confused. What ever happened to simple numbers?

They have to call it Pentium forever, because "Hexium", "Septium",
"Octium", "Nonium", and "Decium" all sound stupid. Although, if you take
the alternate prefix for 6, you get Sexium, which either sounds like a
really sexy processor, or one designed for porn servers.

I'm glad I'm not the Intel marketer having to set product names... I'd
just call the future P5 an i1086.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx