Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:20:49 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, ve@sci.fi
Subject:   Re: Fetchmail and Python

On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 10:54:52PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> What does the configurator say?  If it's too terse, maybe you can make
> it emit something like "no python found, please install python and tk
> and tcl and...".

It starts with the incantation:

"#!/usr/bin/python"

(Actually, that's the fetchmailconf from the previous version of
fetchmail.  Looks like esr managed to overcome the Linuxian stupidity
of putting python in /usr/bin; it now reads "#!/usr/local/bin/python".)

So if Python is absent, we get a message along the lines of:

flarn:~$ fetchmailconf
bash: /usr/local/bin/fetchmailconf: No such file or directory

What about installing fetchmailconf into $PREFIX/libexec/fetchmailconf.bin
and making $PREFIX/bin/fetchmailconf a script along the lines of:

#!/bin/sh

PREFIX=@PREFIX@					# sed me!
if [ -x $PREFIX/bin/python ]; then
	exec $PREFIX/bin/python $PREFIX/libexec/fetchmailconf.bin
else
	echo This program needs Python to run.  Python is in the Ports
	echo Collection, in /usr/ports/lang/python.
fi

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.