Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:57:34 +0000
From:      Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com>
To:        Alberto Villa <avilla@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom BCM4310 USB Controller (Wifi)
References:  <20101025080705.GA33315@current.Sisis.de> <AANLkTi=65roV5vxX54dHOsmcND6BgoUQiEsGq6skYagL@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTim8PavYF60cnYQge5hzjzg4LFbXWj5vzz0uSikY@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=cJXqV9S0DZ%2BYhqP9_LD9B1o7t13rPCcohE7op@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikXWWpnhJmcYLi3aSp3vRndCpP4dv2%2BxyM5RKP2@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTinyW8kHW3z3iZgcbe1h2w%2BaC6jNGcv3Thxb7Dx3@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTinz8qy6qwv-TicQvx5sGYWLq3PiVuOcO6aaW3fX@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikWv6jCXtvcFPf8%2Bv4nNvuJMUmy15O1%2B6N6g847@mail.gmail.com>

On 11/17/10, Alberto Villa <avilla@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Paul B Mahol <onemda@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Feel free to test code at:
>>
>> gitorious.org/NDISulator
>> github.com/richardpl/NDISulator
>>
>> The code is developed on CURRENT. But with small changes it can be
>> compiled on STABLE too.
>
> thanks!
> i've applied a checkout of last night to current. i can load the
> module after boot, but the panic is still there when i unload or load
> on boot, and wpa_supplicant fails to work (see attached log)
>
>> Just now I have only one tester (and that is without counting me).
>
> consider me as the third one :)

Please use ndis5 branch. master branch is in heavy development.
CURRENT branch just blindly (and badly) track code on FreeBSD CURRENT.
When you say what you did be more specific, like are you are using
i386 or amd64, and so on.

When testing, enable debug.bootverbose, and debug.ndis sysctl before
[miniport module is module you created with ndisgen(8)]

Do not load miniport module(s) during boot(from loader), if it ever
worked it was big luck.
[Even on Windows, drivers are loaded after boot.] Actually drivers can
be loaded but we must be
extra carefull what to call during boot and what to call after boot.

For using code in branch master and ndis5, you will need to reinstall
ndisgen and ndiscvt from git repo
and do not use one from FreeBSD world. This also means you will need
to regenerate miniport module with
new ndiscvt & ndisgen because interface have changed slightly.