Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 1995 09:51:30 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
Cc:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Sound

> options               "AUDIO_YM3812"
> options               AUDIO_SB
> options               AUDIO_SBPRO
> options               AUDIO_SB16

Oh BARF!  That's even worse than what we had before!

So now I have to know about 3 different undocumented options to enable
sound (if you look at sound.doc, it most strongly intimates that only
one is needed).

I still think that my changes you spammed were better in the short term.
At least then you only had to turn on the one device you actually KNEW you
had!

I also don't see you implementing Garrett's solution anytime soon, nor
do I see anyone really going for the much more complicated scheme you
proposed.  Can we just have the very simple "limited hierarchy" scheme
I proposed in the beginning?  At least for NOW?  What we have now is
not acceptable, IMO.

                                                Jordan