Date:      Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:53:30 -0500
From:      Simon1 <simon1@simon1.net>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall & telnet display incorrect

Thanks for the try - it changed a few things, but didn't do the trick. :/

Right now, I've got:

root@server su$ echo $TERM
cons25

Another server everything works correctly on has this same TERM setting. So
I'm guessing that's not what's doing it. Does anyone know what else
/stand/sysinstall uses that it (or some other setting) would be unhappy with?

I'm wondering if an ANSI setting somewhere is incorrect?

I've noticed something else too. When pressing up to execute another
command I get this type of behavior. it works normally if I type clear,
then begin pressing up.

But if I do something like "man clear" and then type q to exit the viewer
before I view all of the info, THEN begin doing that, it will eventually
only update the characters where it displays:

Say I have a 'buffer' of 5 commands (as they would appear, bottom to top,
as though I were pressing up)

test
test command
clear
/stand/sysinstall
man clear

Then:
I press up
once: root@server su$ man clear
twice: root@server su$ /stand/sysinstall
thrice: root@server su$ clear
down once: root@server su$ /stand/sysinstall
down twice: root@server su$ man clearsinstall

That's probably the easiest example I can show. (it seems as though its
caching a setting from something when I logged on from the FBSD test
workstation posted before).

When I try setting TERM to vt100 I get this when I load sysinstall:

0lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqkB
0xB Probing devices, please wait (this can take a while)... 0xB
0mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqjB

When the menu loads, something isn't right (it's got a lot of extra line
breaks in it), and if I go to it with the right arrow key to select exit
menu, it quits, right away. And I'm put at a shell prompt, with the letter "C":

root@server su$ C

Down and it does the same, except the letter B:
root@server su$ B

Any ideas? vt220 seems to have this same effect. :/