Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 18:32:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: What I consider and odd install

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Al Johnson wrote:

> I've got the boot manager installed on the jaz drive but for some reason,
> apparently booteasy only supports 2 drives, I never get the chance to select
> the jaz for booting.  I think this is a case where two many drives is
> complicating the issue.
>
> I've even gone so far as to disable the primary EIDE interface (3.8G). Booteasy
> still discovers the disk.  I select Disk2 and it wants to boot
> from the CDROM.  still no jaz drive in the picture.  Looks like I may have
> to partition my 3.8G disk to boot FreeBSD.  Hmm, maybe just go out and buy
> another EIDE drive for the primary controller and all will be well.

As others have told you, bteasy only handles 2 disks.  I think which two
disks, in a SCSI system, is handled in order of scsi ID #, and I've
juggled disks to do that in the past, but you not only have a mixed system
(with both SCSI and EIDE) but you have a large load of scsi devices, and
juggling ID numbers is going to involve your having to do things like
inspect your /etc/fstab, to make sure it's right, else it won't find the
new disks in the right place (when you change the scsi order).

I don't know of a boot manager that will handle your setup easily.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |