Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:30:38 -0700
From:      Jie Gao <jeffgaofreebsd@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   When will a thread-safe nvidia-driver be available?

Hi all,

Does anyone know when a thread-safe nvidia-driver will be available?

After upgrading to 5.3-RELEASE and KDE-3.3.1, I noticed some newly
compiled KDE apps (e.g. kile and skim) core dump at start. The
backtraces of the core files show that they are all related with
libpthread and libGL (from nvidia-driver). And if I deinstall
nvidia-driver and use "nv" driver, all those core-dumping apps work
fine (even without recompilation). So I believe recent changes to
threading libraries and possibly some ports make some programs trigger
the thread-unsafe part of nvidia-driver more often.

As the 5.x branch is stablized, and TLS implemented, it should be time
to have a thread-safe nvidia-driver available.