Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 19:55:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        marcusg@elec.uq.edu.au (Marcus Gallagher)
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My sound problems (again)

 |Well, I've been playing around with my sound setup again, trying to get
 |it to work with FreeBSD (v2.1)
 |
 |The card is a Creative AWE32.  I think the device is probed on bootup
 |(the speakers pop), and if I do
 |
 |mixer vol 100
 |
 |I can hear the speakers "hissing".  So why if I do
 |cat anything.au > /dev/audio
 |it just hangs there, as for other things (e.g RealAudio, just hangs).
 |Any help very much appreciated!

     I've been running the same version of Voxware that you are on a Sound
Blaster 32 (AWE32 - mem + vibra) on v2.1 and later versions without any
problems (currently running it now on a 2.2 SNAP, except with an EMU8000
MIDI driver added).  Should be pretty much the same as your config
soundcard hardware-wise.

     Just a few things come to mind that you might check.  1) Possible
IRQ/DMA conflict with another card?  2) do the boot-up messages confirm all
the relevent sound drivers are picking up your card?:

     sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
     sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
     sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
     sbxvo0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
     sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
      <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
     opl0 at 0x388 on isa
     opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

3) if you're running a PCI motherboard, do you have IRQ5, DMA 1, and DMA 5
reserved for ISA in your BIOS?  And 4) Is your AWE PNP?

Randall
rhh@ct.picker.com