Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: A suggestion for ports that replace parts of the base

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Anton Berezin wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:17:12PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:43:34 -0700 (PDT) Doug Barton wrote:
> >
> > > 	I'm very interested in the idea of ports that replace parts of the
> > > base system. I think that something like PORT_REPLACES_BASE_FOO might
> > > be more useful. This could be put in /etc/make.conf without fear that
> > > the user would forget what it means some point down the road. It's a
> > > little wordy, but I think it's quite clear.
>
> I completely agree with the idea!

Yay :)

> > that's a good idea. this should be incorporated into /usr/src/Makefile
> > (or whatever) so that the base system tools that are overwritten by a
> > port are never installed (or even built?).
> >
> > as it seems this PORT_REPLACES_BASE_FOO needs so set a NO_FOO somewhere.
>
> Or rather, it should produce the same effect as NO_FOO while makeing the
> intentions and the reasons clear.  This would significantly simplify the
> use.perl script used by the perl port.

Simon and Anton, that's an idea that hadn't occurred to me, but we could
easily add a test to the base makefiles that look for NO_FOO so that
effectively PORT_REPLACES_BASE_FOO would imply NO_FOO in the base as well.
Excellent. I think we should post this to -arch before proceeding, just to
be on the safe side, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be ok.

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?