Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:55:18 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>, Mail List - Mailman <mailman-users@python.org>
Cc:        jmelo@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Multiple instances of Mailman on FreeBSD

I'm posting this to both the mailman-users list and the freebsd-ports
list.  I realize that not all follow-up will make it to both lists.

I would like to set up multiple instances of Mailman on a FreeBSD 7-
STABLE system with using Postfix.  Looking at the ports Makefile, it
appears that if I set MM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/domain-for-this-instance
everything should work file (plus add FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER allow
this second instance to be installed.)

But when I do

  % cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
  % sudo make -DMM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org -
DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install

It just installs in the default location, /usr/local/mailman

And this paradoxical report of various settings

$ sudo make MM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org -
DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install
===>  Found saved configuration for mailman-2.1.12

You may change the following build options:
MM_USERNAME=mailman	The username of the Mailman user.
MM_USERID=91		The user ID of the Mailman user.
MM_GROUPNAME=mailman	The group to which the Mailman user will belong.
MM_GROUPID=MM_USERID	The group ID for the Mailman user.
MM_DIR=mailman		Mailman will be installed in /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/
lists.wilson-pta.org.
CGI_GID=www		The group name or id under which your web server executes
CGI scripts.
IMGDIR=www/icons	Icon images will be installed in /usr/local/www/icons.

Notice the conflicting information on the line telling me about MM_DIR.

Background on the issue

As is well known to mailman users, mailman 2.X does not fully deal
with virtual mail domains in that, say

     pta-board@lists.shepard-families.org

And

     pta-board@lists.wilson-pta.org

would have to be the same list.  That is mailman does not provide a
separate namespace for lists in different domains.

The Wiki/FAQ at

  http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030604

hints at patches (which I can't seem to locate) and mailing list
discussion mentions an alternative of having a separate instance of
Mailman for each virtual domain.  This later approach seems easier if
you don't anticipate having loads of domains.  So that is what I
intend to do.

Cheers,

-j