Date:      02 Apr 2001 08:28:38 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My Vinum heart attack

At 2001-04-02T13:12:37Z, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:

> There is no critical information in /dev/vinum. The information there can
> easily be recreated by vinum(8) from the configuration information stored
> on the disks themselves.

I wasn't too sure at the time which information was canonical - the copy in
/dev/vinum, or the on-disk copy - so I wanted to be darn sure not to lose
more than I needed to.

Your point that it is easily recreated is true, given that vinum works at
all in a particular situation.  Mine didn't.  I know why it didn't, and I
managed to work through it without loss, but it certainly got my attention
at the time.

BTW, my note was much more a warning to others to pay attention to these
things than a complaint.  Vinum is a complicated thing, and you have to be
willing to rise to the occasion if you want to use it, and I'm comfortable
with that.
--
Kirk Strauser