Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:16:02 -0700
From:      "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
To:        <ddavid_3@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:  PPPOE &ADSL on FreeBSD Tutorial

Good article, but there's something I just don't understand. I have been
using ADSL for over 2 years now with an external modem connected to an
ethernet card in my server. I have used Windows 2000 Server, Redhat Linux
5.2, 6.0, 6.2, 7.0 and now FreeBSD 4.2, 4.3 on the server.

At no time have I *ever* consciously used PPPoE to make the connection to my
ISP. For every one of the operating systems above, I have configured the
ethernet adapter to simply use IP. For the first year, I used DHCP to assign
IP address and now I have a static IP address. No PPPoE anywhere.

What gives with all this PPPoE ? Is there something I'm missing here ? Is it
only needed for some DSL setups ?