Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:18:54 +0200 (EET)
From:      Oles Hnatkevych <gnut@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hard disk fails

Hello!

   I need an urgent advice. We got a PC with two SCSI hard
disks, second one beeing mounted as /var. For about two days
we see an error on a screen that tells us smth. like that:

sd1(ahc0:2:0): MEDIUM ERROR info?:323c58 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
, retries:2

  I understand that our hard disk fails to read data....

   Well, the question is how to cope with it? For DOS one uses
Norton Disk Doctor or a Scandisk to scan bad sectors and mark bad clusters

   I man'ned fsck, newfs, bad144, badsect but did not get a clue how
to manage it... And english is not my native language...

   HELP!

   Great thanks in advance!

Bye.