Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:55:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Subject:   Battery Applet disappears after upgrading from FreeBSD-4.9Pre to Stable

Hello,
Forgive me if this is not the correct list.

I had been running FreeBSD/Gnome-2.4.x on my OmniBook XE2 successfully
since original installation off the 4.7 Rel CD-Set. This was my
problem-free state until Sunday 16th Nov 2003, when I finally decided to
cvsup to 4.9Stable.

Since then I've noticed that the battery status applet thingy on the
bottom of the desktop has stopped appearing on Gnome login. I still get
the "BattStat...," (not sure what its called, sorry) icon appearing in the
start-up Splash screen, but no battery status applet.

I did check to make sure that I've got apm enabled in the kernel:
device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

That its still enabled in /etc/rc.conf:
omni# grep -i apm /etc/rc.conf
apm_enable="YES"
omni#

And that the APM device is still recognised on boot:
omni# dmesg | grep -i apm
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
omni#

There are no messages related to apm in either /var/log/messages, nor
/var/log/security.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Are there any other places I could check for related errors / messages
that would tell me why this has stopped working?

Here's the uname info:
omni# uname -a
FreeBSD omni.vickiandstacey.com 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #2: Mon Nov
17 00:24:01 GMT 2003
stacey@omni.vickiandstacey.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/XE2  i386
omni#

Do let me know if there is any more information I could provide. Thanks
for the time.

Regards,

Stacey