Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:15:18 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA idle spindown patch.

Robert Sexton writes:
 > So heres a patch to implement it, hopefully the 'Right Way' (tm), but
 > without the bells and whistles.  Set hw.ata.suspend in /boot/loader.conf:
 > hw.ata.suspend=300. (Choose your preferred idle time, or course)
 > The default is not to even attempt to try setting
 > the idle timer on the drive. So it should be harmless if not used.
 > There are other wrinkles with altering
 > the syncer to behave a little better, but a really useful solution is
 > complicated.

I've had basically this same thing hardcoded into ata-disk.c on my
laptop for quite a few months and, yes, it seems to work fine...
until you sleep the system and bring it back.  After coming back from
sleep my laptop seems to have forgotten about the spindown time.

It appears as though it also needs to be somewhere after resetting the
device when the machine comes back from sleep.  Any ideas?

/raj