Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:06:14 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Servers on bigpond adsl

At 02:58 23/11/2001, Kathy Quinlan sent this up the stick:
>Hi all,
>
>I am looking at running a test server on my home ADSL link through Telstra
>Bigpond. I believe they use a port scanner to detect and kick us if we do it
>?/
>
>I am wondering if anyone has any ideas to over come it ?? I am only using it
>to test some websites and get feedback from people before dropping the
>webserver off to the local Primary School (is easier to make changes and
>work on it local rather than through their 56K modem) in both locations they
>are only handling redirections from a main server/ firewall machine, so no
>worries about swapping from PPPoE back to PPP

No, they aren't portscanning at this time, although they probably
could.  Optus (cable) do portscan, however.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a
dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 1157 of a collection of 1192