Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:16:40 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rm -rf gallery/

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:43:41AM +0200, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> hi,
>=20
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:38:09PM +0100, Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> =20
> > as i did not get much feedback on my request for comments
> > about removing the gallery i make it short:
> >=20
> > any objections to me removing the gallery
> > (www/en/gallery/) from the website?
> >=20
> > why? it is hard to maintain, it is no real benefit
> > and most links are broken anyway.
>=20
> Hmm...  Maybe...  I thought about its historical status few
> times before.  But never got to overhauling or removing it.  It's
> good that this question is re-appeared again.
>=20
> As maintainer of gallery (and ex-maintainer of commercial gallery) I would
> agree with you arguments about "hard maintaince".  I maintain it in
> semi-automatic mode due to historical reasons.  It does not take too much
> time to handle incoming entries, cleanup and commit them, but checking
> for 404's and re-born sites is similar to nightmare.

I have semi-automatic scripts half written that check the URLs in the
gallery.  I got bored of it real soon, but if there's a need then I'll
run them back up again.  My plan was to keep them all in a database and
remove them after three consecutive failures (checked once or twice a
week).  Obviously this doesn't catch porn sites and the like, but they
do say that the pornography industry is a fantastic testing ground for
stable technology ;-)

Ceri

--=20

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r