Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:33:21 +0100
From:      Jos Backus <J.G.E.Backus@urc.tue.nl>
To:        Martijn Koster <mak@excite.com>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh and scp

	Hello Martijn,

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 11:44:01AM +0000, Martijn Koster wrote:
> > What prevents somebody from storing my public key in his ~/.ssh/identity.pub
> > and logging into server as me?
>
> The fact that only _you_ have your private key (~/.ssh/identity), with
> which you essentially prove the corresponding public key is yours.

OK, this check is what I was missing in this picture. I wonder how this
verification process works, though. If I have a person's public key, how can
this person (using his private key) prove to me that it indeed is his?

[Maybe we should take this thread out of -questions...]

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus                     _/  _/_/_/        "Reliability means never
                              _/  _/   _/         having to say you're sorry."