Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:14:39 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 06:07:47PM -0600, Jay Nelson wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> > >Ok, not the best example. I guess the handguns law is a better one since
> > >it's now illegal to have a handgun in the UK even if you bought it
> > >before the law changed.
> > >
> > >Everyone here who had one was required to hand them in when the law came
> > >in to effect.
> >
> > I hope they weren't foolish enough to actually hand them in.
> >

> Most of them did (there was a compensation scheme). The big difference
> of course is that over here most people realize that there is no real
> justification for *any* civilian, except farmers, to own firearms (we
> don't have grizzlies and rattlesnakes, so walking in the hills is
> safe).

	Actually what you have is a population that has been deluded into
believing that the purpose of "civillians" owning firearms is to protect
them from nature, as opposed to protecting them from their government.
Just imagine how much easier the brits would have had it if those pesky
(american) colonialists had not been armed. If you read the early
writings of the american founding fathers they are very clear on this
point.

	As an example, just look at what is happening in Australia. They
systematically disarmed their citizens, first going after "assault"
weapons, then handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. All with perfectly
reasonable sounding arguments about how much safer they would be. Now
that the citizens can't fight back they are slowly but surely turning it
into a police state. Draconinan censorship of the internet, and other
extremely distasteful laws are being passed willy-nilly.

	The only thing anti-gun laws do is lull the simple into a false sense
of security. Criminals will always have guns. Disarming the law abiding
populace only serves the goals of tyrants.

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.