Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:24:30 -0800
From:      "Nathaniel Schein - Hostmaster" <nathaniel@lawinfo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems Restoring - More Info

I have been trying to restore a file that was backed up with the command:

/sbin/dump -0 -a -f /dev/nsa0 /backup1

The device is a 80GB HP-DLT and the restore command run in interactive mode.
I add the file to the list to be extracted and then type extract. The
interface then asks me for the volume number, and, I think huh? I choose 1
and the interface hangs. Is there a restore switch equivalent to the -a
switch
in dump? Or does anyone have an explanation?

h10# restore -v -x h6/h6data.tgz
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 10
Dump   date: Mon Nov  5 22:23:04 2001
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /backup1 on h10.lawinfo.com:/dev/da1s1e
Label: none
Extract directories from tape
Initialize symbol table.
Make node ./h6
Extract requested files
You have not read any tapes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume #: 1