Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:44:16 -0600
From:      Brent Macnaughton <Brent.Macnaughton@rdc.ab.ca>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Upgrade to 4.8 STABLE - Root mount failed: 6

I am trying to upgrade my system from 4.7RELEASE to 4.8STABLE. I have
followed the instructions from the manual:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Right now, I am on step 21.4.8 Reboot into Single User Mode. I have compiled
my new kernel, and I was trying to reboot into single user mode to test the
new kernel. When I do this, I get the following error message:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
no such device 'da'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

I don't understand what is going on here. THe device /dev/da0s1a exists. I
compiled the new kernel using the same kernel config file I used to compile
my 4.7RELEASE kernel. My old kernel boots the system just fine.

The computer is a Compaq Proliant 1600. The SCSI device is detected as
follows during boot:

sym0: <875> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem
0xc6fff000-0xc6ffffff,0xc6ffdf00-0xc6ffdfff irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci1
sym0: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0

In my kernel configuration file I have this line

device      sym     # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)

Like I said, everything worked fine in 4.7RELEASE. Is there problems with
the driver for this device in 4.8?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Brent.