Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:39:01 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kian Mohageri <kian.mohageri@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.order wrong (ipfw)

Kian Mohageri wrote:

> I agree VERY MUCH with this sort of approach.  It would be a much
> cleaner solution than completely separate handling of all of these
> different problems.  I'm trying to get an idea of what all of the major
> problems with the current order are, and these are the ones I'm aware of:
>
> - ipfw blocks by default (names unresolvable, rtsol breaks)
> - ipf/pf pass by default (services are unprotected)
>
> I think a firewall_boot script (similar to what you've proposed) could
> potentially solve all of these problems.

I'm glad that you like the idea in principal, however I'm sorry to say
that I don't see eye to eye with your suggestion of modifying the
early behavior instead of the late behavior.

I believe (for whatever that's worth) that firewalls (and firewall
rules) _should_ be loaded prior to the interfaces coming up. If
someone wants to have dynamic rules, rules that rely on name
resolution, or rules for non-physical (e.g., cloned) interfaces,
that's fine, but IMO those are the exception, not the rule.
Furthermore (and I'm betraying a prejudice here) I think that firewall
rules that rely on name resolution are absolutely nuts, and I say that
with many years of experience as a professional DNS and system
administrator.

Therefore I believe strongly that the default behavior should be
changed to load all firewalls (and rules) before netif, and that those
who want to do firewall-related things that require netif or routing
to be up should be the ones who have to opt in to the new script. That
said, I think you and I have expressed our opinions pretty clearly on
these points, so I'd suggest that we let someone else have a turn.

Doug