Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:30:18 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Emulation Root (was: Re: Linux emulation scripting fix to be committed to 5.x and 4.x wednesday)

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0004241406010.26491-100000@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Doug
White writes:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> > In message <200004231835.LAA62963@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon
> > writes:
> > >     I intend to commit this to -current and immediately MFC it to -stable
> .
> > >     I don't expect there to be any controversy though I'm sure there is a
> > >     cleaner way to do it.
> >
> > On a semi-related topic, it would be handy to have a feature,
> > environment variable, table in the kernel, a sysctl variable, etc., to
> > set the Linux emulation root to the real root.  For example, the backup
> > component of Legato for Linux (nsrexecd and friends) runs nicely on
> > under Linux emulation, however, recovering files in the root directory
> > sees them placed in the Linux emulation root directory.
>
> I ran into a similar problem with ADSM -- it would happily back up
> /compat/linux thinking it was backing up /.  I patched the linux mode KLD
> to disable the /compat/linux path munging.  I tried to submit it back but
> was shot down; the emulation people wanted a more general method, which I
> assume included a way to define your own 'linux root'.  The discussion got
> lost some time after that in -emulation.

Legato for Linux backs up /, it just cannot restore to it.  Instead if
you restore for example restore /etc/rc.local, it's restored to
/compat/linux/etc/rc.local.  Any redirection using the Legato recover
subcommand relocate to /etc does not work.  Mounting a unionfs (or nullfs)
of / on some other directory and redirecting the restore to it does work.

> > To work around this I've used a union filesystem that mounted / on
> > another mount point and redirected my restores to it.
>
> Unforunately union mounts are known unstable.

Nullfs mounts have always caused me problems, however unionfs mounts
under 3.4 and 4.0 haven't caused my FreeBSD systems to crash yet.  As
a matter of fact I set up yet another one on my network at home,
NFS mounting /compat on my 486DX33 from my P120 and union mounting
/compat/linux on top of it so it could write the ldconfig cache.
No problems so far.

> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC