Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:39:55 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-vuxml@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreshPorts and linking URLs by package name

On 17 Nov 2004 at 8:19, Dan Langille wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> beta FreshPorts has a special linking mechanism...
> http://beta.freshports.org/?package=ABC will show you the package ABC.
> However, I just noticed that this code uses LATEST_LINK, not PKGNAME.
> I think the code is wrong.
>
> I'm asking for comments here because this linking mechanism was
> designed with VuXML in mind.
>
> I found the issue when looking up ruby.  Here is what the database
> says:
>
> freshports.org=# select id, name, category, latest_link, package_name
> from ports_active where package_name = 'ruby' or latest_link = 'ruby';
>   id   |  name  | category | latest_link | package_name
> -------+--------+----------+-------------+--------------
>  10419 | ruby18 | lang     | ruby-devel  | ruby
>  10838 | ruby16 | lang     | ruby        | ruby
> (2 rows)
>
> As you can see, latest_link differs for each port, but the package
> name is the same.  Therefore, I think that when you browse to
> http://beta.freshports.org/?package=ruby, you should be asked which
> ruby you want.

Given that there are two ports with a package name of 'ruby', I may a
change to how this situation is handled.  Now when you browse to
http://beta.freshports.org/?package=ruby, you will be redirected to
http://beta.freshports.org/search.php where the list of ports that
have a package name of ruby will be displayed.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/