Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:45:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: various PCI Ethernet cards v.s. SMC Ethernet switches....

> The cables seem OK -- they're all four-pair, and we've interchanged
> them and used quite a number of different ones.  We do not have a full
> cable test set though, and have never verified that they work with
> full-duplex connections between any other pieces of equipment.
> However I think we can rule out cables when the switch still doesn't
> work in half-duplex mode.

I've run across some commercial cables that were manufactured with
better (tighter twist, proper gauge wire) pairs on the pins you would
use in half-duplex.  The other two pairs were electrically connected,
but not twisted and had thinner wire (maybe 26 gauge).

I'd guess the manufacturer was trying to save money (and perhaps cable
thickness) by scrimping on the part he figured you'd never use.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                 Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  larson1@home.com