Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:06:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Headless FreeBSD/redirecting console

Greetings! I am looking how to make a headless FreeBSD server. I have a box
running FreeBSD 4.6.2 and want to redirect console to the serial port. When
I do a "man sio":

0x00020   device is forced to become system console

So in my kernel file, I added that for sio1, recompile, installed, and
rebooted:

device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 flags 0x20 irq 3

However, console is still going to the monitor. So how can I redirect it?

Also, I have a Tyan motherboard and can redirect console to the serial port,
and this works fine until FreeBSD boots. Once it boots, it takes back
control and the console once again goes to the monitor.

So any info on redirecting console to the serial port would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!