Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:44:18 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng and similar package (lynx) installation problems

On 13/08/2013 14:16, CeDeROM wrote:
> I was just installing LYNX port from exonetric repository with pkgng
> 1.1.4 when I got this problem that lynx conflicts with another lynx
> package files. This seems like conflict between www/lynx-current and
> www/lynx which have both the same package name. This should not
> happen, www/lynx-current should be named lynx-current right? How to
> avoid similar problems? Shouldn't pkg ask which package to install
> before doing anything?

No -- in general there's no objection to having two versions of lynx in
ports or in a pkg repository, so long as they have distinct port origins
(which they do).

You can always use the full port origin or the combination of name and
version as the selector with 'pkg install'.  Don't be misled by the way
you'ld generally use just the port name: that's a convenience which pkg
provides for ease of use.  It's unambiguous for 90%+ of the available
ports, but there are some cases (lynx, subversion) where it can lead to
foot-shooting.

In fact, there's an open issue
(https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/issues/566) at the moment to do with the
name given on the command line resolving to several packages: in essence
installing several packages by matching one name like that is something
we'd want the user to confirm they intended.

Port maintainers /may/ at their discretion change the port names to
avoid this sort of collision, but that is not mandatory.

So, try:

     pkg install www/lynx

or

     pkg install www/lynx-current

depending on which one you actually want.

	Cheers,

	Matthew