Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 04:36:22 GMT
From:      Abc Xyz <abc@anchorageinternet.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   private IP mail mail relaying

> have your gateway relay the mail from the internal network IP.
>
> -Adam

can anyone provide more details on what is meant here?
what to do exactly?  or where to look for what to do?
i can't extract enough detail from the answer to
proceed in any way with that information.

i read a bit about relaying at sendmail.org,
but it's not exactly a small nor simple subject,
and the only way i can make sense of the answer
above is that it suggests configuring a private IP
MUA to use the gateways MTA - which is not a solution
as i stated below.  but i just can't tell, it's too terse.

what specifically needs to be done with sendmail to make
it request another sendmail daemon on a gateway to act
as a "relay" - if this is possible?

thank you