Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 21:33:29 -0500
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIC causes printing problem?

Ok, I have been pulling my hair out over a few things this weekend after
installing a network card.  The main issue right now is that I cannot print
when the NIC is installed (in the kernel, that is).

If I boot off an old kernel (pre-network card), printing works fine.  However,
if I boot off the new kernel, if I submit a print job, it sits in the queue
and does nothing. I cannot even "lprm" it.  I can manipulate queue status
through lpc, but that's it.

The only difference between these two kernels is that one has the line:
 device xl0
and the other does not.

It doesn't appear to be an IRQ conflict.  As the notes below indicate, the
NIC is at IRQ 10 on the PCI bus.  The printer/parallel system is on IRQ 7.

Here's the output of "dmesg | grep irq" without the network card enabled:

% dmesg | grep irq
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on pci0.12.0
vga0: <Matrox model 0521 graphics accelerator> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on
pci1.0.0 atkbd0 irq 1 on isa
psm0 irq 12 on isa
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 on isa

One thing I find interesting to note about the above is that both the
display adaptor AND the SCSI adaptor share IRQ 11 (!?!)  I don't know
how this is possible, but it seems to work without problem. I have tried
changing the IRQ's of these devices through the PCI setup on the BIOS.
No luck.

Here's the /var/log/messages part about the ethernet card:
May  9 19:53:10 drwho /kernel: xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev
0x30 int a irq 15 on pci0.10.0
May  9 19:53:10 drwho /kernel: xl0: Ethernet address: 00:50:04:1a:20:8c
May  9 19:53:10 drwho /kernel: xl0: auto

Here's the hardware info:

CPU        : PII/400
Mobo       : Asus P2B 440BX (onboard IDE disabled)
Controller : Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI
NIC        : 3com 3c905B-TX (kernel option "device xl0") >>IRQ 10<<
Printing   : Asus P2B onboard parallel at >>IRQ 7<<

Software info:

OS         : FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE (did a complete make world 2 days ago
                                 after installing network hardware as
                                 an attempt at fixing this problem...)

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
              -- Stop the illegal attacks on Serbia NOW! --