Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:03:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <cjsabatier@home.com>
To:        Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: pcm (ES1370) crackling on Athlon, 4.2-STABLE

On 12-Feb-01 Nicholas Esborn wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> I recently upgraded from a Celeron 300A/440BX to an Athlon 800/VIA 82C686A.
> My ES1370 sound card worked fine with the Celeron, but does not work well at
> all in the Athlon system; it crackles a bit under light system load, and
> makes horrible slowed-down grinding noises if the CPU is very busy.
>
> The VIA board comes with an on-board AC97 code, which I tried, but turned off
> because it didn't seem to support any useful sample frequencies and was very
> noisy.
>
> I've seen a few posts from people having similar problems.  I don't think I
> have any interrupt conflicts, at least not between simultaneously active
> devices.  I've juggled the box's cards and BIOS settings quite a bit, but
> haven't been able to get better performance.  Is this a problem with the VIA
> chipset support?

Which audio programs exactly are you using?  I was having problems recently
with MP3 playback, and thought at first that it was a problem with the pcm
driver.  As it turned out, there's a problem with esound (I was using an mpg123
built with esound support).

Try using a simple wave file player, like "play" or "waveplay", and see if you
still notice the same problems.  If not, then your MP3 player is probably
linked with esound, which is the real culprit.

--
Conrad Sabatier
cjsabatier@home.com