Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Craig Johnston <craig@gnofn.org>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poor memory bandwidth on ABIT IT5H rev 1.5

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Jun 9, Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com> wrote:
> > I thought the TX was better than the VX, so I compared several
> > motherboards with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1m count=1000
> >
> > CPU is AMD K5-PR133
> >
> > FIC PT2006 (Intel VX) with 256K PB Cache & FreeBSD-2.1.7.1R
> > Got 65MB/s
> >
> > FreeTech F63T (Intel VX) with 256K PB Cache & FreeBSD-2.1.7.1R
> > Got 62MB/s
> >
> > FreeTech F79 (Intel TX) with 512K PB Cache & FreeBSD-3.0SNAP-6/6/97
> > Got 43MB/s
>
> Does the code in FreeBSD-current use the FPU bcopy for the AMD K5 ???

Hmmmm...

> > Is there something different about 3.0SNAP6/6/97?  Is there any option
> > parameter for the kernel config for the K5-PR133?  Unfortunately, 2
> > parameters changed, so I can't tell if it is the MB or the OS.  I decided
> > to go with 3.0snap because of this missing TX PCI & IDE drivers.
>
> You won't see much of a difference between 2.1.x and -current, with
> regard to chip-set support. The TX does not need any specific code,
> and I doubt that the EIDE code in -current know about the TX IDE
> chip ...

uh oh..  Then I think the upgrade was more of a downgrade except I have a
few more memory slots and better cpu support... The funny thing is that
Win95 seems to run faster.  On Mode 3 EIDE, it gets about 8MB/sec on the
MB according to coretest.

> So you could have used 2.1.7 for the TX as well!

Gee I should have asked that earlier...  2.1.7.1R was super stable
although it felt a little slower and I thought it was because of the "no
driver assigned messages".  I think that USB device steals an IRQ now, so
now every IRQ available is being used.  I think the next great chipset
should support more IRQs (Is that possible)?

Now I can't get NFS to work (2.1.7.1R server, 3.0 client) and sound no
longer works, but I am using 4Front-Tech's driver which seems to work nicely.
Maybe I'll swap the motherboards back.

> > All three tests were done with 32MB EDO memory (set to best memory
> > settings).
>
> The VX is known to perform badly with EDO, and just very slightly
> better than a TX (with EDO), if the VX got SDRAM modules ...

So the TX is even slower than the VX for EDO?  This gives me a very bad
feeling...