Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:41:47 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        "'Dmitry Valdov'" <dv@dv.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk quota overriding

In message <97A8CA5BF490D211A94F0000F6C2E55D097564@s-lmh-wi-900.corpnet.at>, La
davac Marino wrote:

} 	BTW, has chown been "fixed" to the ludicrous SysV semantics that
} the root and owner can chown a file?  If so, the latter has to be
} disabled in presence of quotas on the volume--otherwise:
}
} 	touch big_file
} 	chmod 777 big_file
} 	chown root:wheel big_file
} 	cat /dev/zero >>big_file
}
} 	This joke used to work on HPUX 10.something which kept the
} owner-may-chown semantics even in presence of quotas.  It was not funny.
} (I don't know whether HP has fixed that).

Under HP-UX 9.x, the behavior you describe was the default, and it
was changable by altering a kernel config parameter and relinking the
kernel.  The same tunable is available under 10.x, but I'm less certain
what the default behavior is there.  Whether quotas are enabled or not
does not affect the behavior, only the kernel tunable parameter.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com