Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
Cc:        jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@freebsd.org, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

Nik Clayton wrote:

> I agree with you in theory.  However, John Polstra, one of the
> repository managers, has already said that his free time to do this
> work is limited, and that repository copies are fiddly anyway, with
> the increase of risk involved.
> If there's another alternative that I haven't considered, I'm more
> than willing to hear it.

I have an idea.  You need this done but aren't allowed to do it.  And
I'm allowed to do it but don't have time to do it.  Maybe we can solve
this dilemma by shifting more of the work onto your shoulders. :-)

- You resolve the disagreements with the Japanese docs team.  (It
  sounds like progress is being made.)

- I impose a freeze on the doc repository tree.

- You tar it up and extract a copy onto your own machine or into
  your home directory on freefall.

- Working in your local copy, you arrange the tree the way you want
  it.  The rules are:

  - You can't delete, rename, or modify any existing files or
    directories.

  - Directories must be mode 775

  - Files must be mode 444

- When you're happy with your local copy, you tar it up and give it
  to me.

- I check it over, fix up the tags (if any) and other-RCS related
  things, and install it in the master repository.

- I unfreeze the doc tree.

How about that?
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong