Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:58:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Huppi <thuppi@huppi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS login - argh!

Follow-up:

No clear resolution.  I believe that _perhaps_ the problem is, in
part, that the NIS server is not serving master.passwd even though
it claims to be (i.e., 'ypwhich -x' shows it.)  Anyone know if
that map needs to be distributed in order for 5.3-ish NIS clients
to work?

*NOTE* to those fighting these issues (and seeing this via google
or some such...):  There seems to be some sort of a bug which is
tickled by this kind of fooling around.  It manifests itself by
setting the user's account expire time to 1969!  This kept me
occupied for _hours_ when I couldn't even get that user's account
to let me log in when I made things complety local and unplugged
the stupid machine from the network!

Try:  # chpass {user}  to see what I mean.

I'm functional now only by turning off NIS in /etc/nsswitch.conf
and maintaining a local password entry :( It is worth note,
however, that the $1$xxx style (md5) password hash from the Linux
side _does_ work and is _not_ a problem.

Thanks,

 - Tom