Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2008 02:56:27 -0800
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Ed Schouten <ed@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Change select(2) to kevent(2) on script(1)...

Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> Hi Ed!
>
> 	I inspired by your 'kqueue()-support to pseudo-terminal master
> 	devices' (svn commit: r185942).  So I'm trying to use kevent(2)
> 	on script(1). (SEE ALSO following patch)

It's unrelated question, but I wonder what the reason to do this might
be? AFAIK kqueue(2) provides performance benefit only for the cases when
one needs to monitor large number of file descriptors. In this case
there are just 2 descriptors. The kqueue(2) has big disadvantage of
being non-POSIX, FreeBSD-specific interface, making it harder for
somebody to adapt the code in non-FreeBSD environment. For this reason
IMHO it should only be used for really performance critical code. For
other cases select(2)/poll(2) should be the interface of choice.

-Maxim