Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 19:02:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      Eric Young <eay@mincom.oz.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Eric Young <eay@tenmail.mincom.oz.au>, Tim Hudson <tjh@orb.mincom.oz.au>, announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, eBones and crypt availble for non-US!

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Mark Murray wrote:
> The secure code (crypt) is _identical_ to the US code. It originated in
> South Africa and Australia, and has never been to the US, so it is totally
> kosher. The Kerberos (eBones actually) code stared out life like the secure

Just in case you guys are interested, I'm the person who originally did
the eBones stuff many years ago.
I have been doing some more crypto stuff recently but I have only
announced it  on the ssl-list mailing list, newsgroups anouncements will
occur in a week or 2.
Anomgst the things.
libdes - the des library that came with eBones has had a life of it's own
and has been updated quite a bit.  It has tripple des, ofb, cfb modes
etc now and a few bug fixes.
It is now released as part of my SSL implementation.
This implementation contains
DES, RC4,
RSA (full private key generation function etc, infact about half the
     library is X509/RSA stuff).
X509 routines.
SSL.

There are programs for handling X509 stuff and demo programs for ssl
client and server implementation.
A friend of mine (Tim Hudson tjh@mincom.oz.au) has put this into SRA
telnet/telnetd, Mosaic and httpd (for https).  This code has been tested
and runs on all unix boxes I could get hold of.  The SRA telnet has only
been tested on Solaris 2.x and IRIX 5.x.  The applications are still
being worked on.

This code is officially Alpha, in that I'm still working on the library
quite a bit but it works and is available for ftp from ftp.psy.uq.oz.au
/pub/Crypto/SSL and /pub/Crypto/SSLapps.  There is a web page at
http://www.psy.uq.oz.au/~ftp/Crypto (I think).  The only problem is this
machine blew it's root disk and will not be back until monday :-(.

Currently SSLeay is not compatable with SSLref from netscape at a call
level but it definitly is at a protocol level.  In the next week or 2
I'll probably be working on making an interface to my RSA code
compatable with RSAref.

This code is now all under a licence which makes all of the above free
for comercial and non-comercial use, with the restriction that I'm given
attribution.  Basically the same as the BSD licence.

If people are interested in testing and putting SSL into apps under free
BSD, feel free to start using the code.  Documentation is somewhat
lacking but I'll be working on that, you will just have to read the demo
programs :-)

have fun (on monday when psych is fixed)

eric
--
Eric Young                  | And Jesus said unto the masses
AARNet: eay@mincom.oz.au    |'Go and get a life of your own.'