Date:      Sun, 06 Nov 2011 03:19:20 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        linux freaker <linuxfreaker@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for MegaRAID SAS on FreeBSD

--------------enig948C9E8D67B03503B5F89B3E

Hi,

The SAS 9240 controller works fine with the mfi driver provided by LSI,
however there is no driver to my knowledge in the default FreeBSD tree
that handles this controller, which is kind of annoying.

So you have to build a custom kernel or module beforehand for it.

I have two servers using this driver right now (one running on
8.2-STABLE and one on 9.0-RC1.

(Yes, I know this does not help at all for installation time unless you
have a full live filesystem, or engineer your own releases yourself... :/=
)

However, for FreeBSD 9.X, it requires a quick modification to the source
for it to build (following enclosed instructions) :
- Remove the default /usr/src/sys/dev/mfi (by renaming it, for instance)
- Put the driver source provided by LSI in its place
- Modify mfi.c, the call to psignal() on line 1603 must be altered to
kern_psignal() (only step required for FreeBSD 9.X)
- After that modification : cd /usr/src/sys/dev/mfi; make
- You can then kldload the resulting mfi.ko module.

So, to sum up, the LSI driver works, yes. :)

Cheers,