Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:07:02 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), keichii@peorth.iteration.net, kris@FreeBSD.ORG (Kris Kennaway), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GSM vs. CDMA (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c))

At 1:40 AM +0000 2001/1/23, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  Nokia has the 5185i; have you looked at it?

	According to
<http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/1,2499,index,FF.html#5100>, that is a
US-only model, sold only by Cricket Communications and Verizon.
According to <http://www.nokiausa.com/beauty/1,2498,53,FF.html>, the
"tri-mode" capabilities that it refers to are "1900MHz CDMA / 800MHz
CDMA/ AMPS".  This doesn't do you a damn bit of good outside the US.

	Note that there is a difference between "tri-band" and "tri-mode" phones.

	The former term is usually used in reference to GSM
900/1800/1900Mhz, the former two frequencies work in Europe and Asia,
the latter is one of the two GSM frequencies that work in the US (in
those very few places where you have GSM coverage in the US).

	Contrariwise, tri-mode is usually a term that applies to two
different frequencies of a particular digital cell phone technology
(e.g., TDMA, CDMA, or GSM), plus AMPS/NAMPS.  This is a term
frequently used in the US, and is not really applicable outside of
that market.

	I've had 5100 series phones before, and their UI is not nearly as
good as the 6100 series (the latter has an extra button or two which
make interacting with the phone a lot easier), and the same can be
said for many of the other features (the 6100 series usually includes
infra-red capability, and with the Nokia Suite software package and
the right cable, you can use it to access the Internet without a
dedicated GSM modem card).

	The 7100 series has a built-in modem (used for the WAP browsing),
and any compatible computer can connect via Infrared without any
additional hardware or software necessary (Jordan Hubbard used it to
log in and get his e-mail remotely at the kick-off meeting of the
NLFUG last year).

	Sadly, this is the only model I know of that Nokia makes that has
an integrated hardware modem and doesn't require any additional
software or hardware on the computer -- I believe that even the new
6200 series (which includes a WAP browser) requires additional
software on the computer.