Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:18:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Chris England <cengland@obscurity.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From BugTraq - FreeBSD 3.3 xsoldier root exploit (fwd)

I really think that this would be a _great_ improvement.

I would be ready to donate time to this. :))

Should I start patching? :)

--- Big Brother told Robert Watson to write, at 13:56 of December 16:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Spidey wrote:
>=20
> > Yes. Since I've been looking at setuid's on FBSD, my primary concer=
n's
> > been with the ports. I wished there could be some way to have a
> > variable in the Makefiles that say "NOSETUID=3DYES". :))
> >=20
> > We should make a a definite list of all the setuid's in the whole p=
ort
> > tree. Maybe the port maintainers can give a hand?
> >=20
> > Darn.. d=E9j=E0 vu...=20
>=20
> Yup, it's d=E9j=E0 vu all over again.  If you want a heavy-handed sec=
urity
> approach, here's how you do it.  Define two new Makefile ports variab=
les:
>=20
> HAS_MISC_SET_ID=3D {yes,no}
> HAS_ROOT_SETUID=3D {yes,no}
>=20
> Starting today, warn all ports maintainers that their ports must (ide=
ally
> correctly) define these variables for all of their ports.  In two wee=
ks,
> any port that doesn't define both variables is marked as broken.  Aft=
er
> one week, we introduce a check in the package building procedure that=

> checks for any setuid or setgid binaries in the installed version.  I=
f the
> variable value reported is wrong, the port is marked as broken.
>=20
> We then have an effective and mandated list of ports making use of se=
t?id
> binaries.  Each one of these ports undergoes a security view by the
> auditing team--not to fix bugs, just to identify whether the source c=
ode
> is prone to bugs (extensive use of string functions in unsafe ways, e=
tc)
> -- a twenty minute thing.  If it's found to be unsafe, the port is ma=
rked
> as unsafe, meaning that packages are not autobuilt for it, and that a=
 user
> attempting to install the port is *loudly* warned that the code is un=
safe,
> and they must confirm the install by using make unsafe-install.
>=20
> That's heavy-handed security for you: mandate identification of probl=
ems
> and correctness.
>=20
> This doesn't address daemons (imapd, etc) that also run privileged, b=
ut is
> a good first step.
>=20
>   Robert N M Watson=20
>=20
> robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
> [...]

--=20
Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
L'important ne serait que de voir

Lofofora