Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:10:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Geoff Rehmet" <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        william@tale.net (William Liao)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having trouble with the new ATAPI driver

William Liao writes :

> Hi,
> I did a CVSUP and make world at 4/15, then I decided to try the
> new ATAPI driver on my box. So I made some necessary changes to
> my kernel config and made a new kernel.
> But after boot, it always hangs on mounting disks.
> The message is: swapon: /dev/wd0s1b: Device not configured
> Then I tried to boot into single user mode and mount the slices
> manually. Unfortunately, same thing happened again when I tried
> to mount my /home, /var, etc.
> Mount replied: /dev/wd2s1e: Device not configured.
>
> Did I miss anything?... Thanks for your help.

I've actually seen the same symptoms, with one of my swap partitions,
but it is now also giving me this with one of my file systems, on
fsck, at bootup.  It drops me to single user (since fsck -p fails),
I run fsck -p manually, it is happy, and I go multiuser.
The same happened with the swap partition in question - a second
"swapon -a", and everything worked - that slice has however since
become my /tmp, as I already had enough swap.

I have only been getting "device not configured" errors on ad2 though.

Geoff.
--
Geoff Rehmet,
The Internet Solution