Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DHCP, arp and de0

On 16-Jun-99 Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 15-Jun-99 John Baldwin wrote:
>>  Are you using the built-in dhcp client (/sbin/dhclient)?  If so, what does
>>  output look like during boot up?  What does 'ifconfig -i de0' show?  Also,
>>  you have a lease in /var/db/dhcp.leases?
>
> I am using /sbin/dhclient de0 to get a lease, and the config file is empty
> except for comments. The output looks OK when it boots up, but I don't have
> an
> exact copy.
>
> It DOES get a lease fine, but for some reason it isn't entered into the arp
> table :(
>
> Err.. ifconfig -i de0 isn't legal :)

Whoops.. just ifconfig de0.  Have you tried using the interface?  We use dhcp
for a lab I help run, and 'arp -a' on the clients does not show an entry for
the local de0 card they have installed, but they work fine regardless.  Do you
have a route for 127.0.0.1 in your route table (netstat -rn), there should be
one that just points to itself so, AFAIK, it shouldn't be arp'ing for that
address.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc