Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:42:02 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM

Chuck Robey scribbled this message on May 10:
> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > A spammer could simply become a list member and then SPAM.  They won't care
> > if they are removed once they have perpetrated their abuse.
>
> The could, but most wouldn't, wouldn't even know how.  It wouldn't be
> a sure cure, but it would sure help.  Don't do it on newbies type lists,
> like -questions or -newbies, even multimedia gets a lot of newbies.
> Current and committers would be good candidates.

there are a couple MAJOR problems with doing that to committers:
	a) I don't use my jmg@freebsd.org account to send mail, I'd have
	   to do that, as just simply being a commiter gets your freebsd
	   account subscribed to cvs-committers.  I wondered why I was
	   getting double commit messages when I became a committer, till
	   I realized this and unsubscribed from cvs-all.
	b) If a normal user responds to mail to cvs-all, us committers
	   wouldn't get the response as their reply would be dropped
	   because they aren't on cvs-committers, but everyone else on
	   cvs-* would get the reply.

I have only recieved 61 spam messages so far since the begining of the
year, this includes the dups to multiple mailing lists and myself. This
is about one every other day, and considering most are dups, that isn't
even two a week...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson