Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:42:17 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: Re: sh scripting question

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: sh scripting question
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:39:06 +0530
From: Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>

On 2020-10-16 10:02, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 23:14:13 -0400, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
>> On 2020-10-15 23:05, Bob Proulx wrote:
>>
>>> Oh you are tormenting us now.  :-)  There are some subtle issues
>>> here.
>>

>> Maybe a shell is the wrong tool.
>
> Exactly! Scripts are useful to handle tasks, such as dealing with
> reasonable file names. A script should work around reasonable tricky
> file names, but at some point bothering with really freakish file names
> isn't worth the effort. Actually file names should be compatible with
> shell, if they are intended to be used with shell scripts. To some
> extent we could use shell scripts, to write little programs, that
> probably better should be written in a programming language. At some
> extent a programming language is required, a shell script can't do the
> job at all or at best it could do the job, but not with reasonable
> effort.

I would strongly disagree with that. If a problem can be solved with a
shell script - and Robert Huff's problem is easily solvable with a
simple Bourne shell script, then a shell script must be what is used to
solve the problem.

Robert, I gave you the solution. Do you have a problem with that solution ?

Regards,
Manish Jain