Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:56:08 -0700
From:      "pancham" <pancham@ican.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <pancham@ican.net>
Subject:   uu_lock using Java

I  purchased a serial port Java class which uses a shared library to
perform the FreeBSD dependent serial port device specifics.  In particular,
it calls "uu_lock" to lock the serial port.   The javac compiler compiles
the code successfully, but the Java virtual machine is unable to find this
system utility at run time and exits.

I successfully wrote a C++ application which uses the uu_lock utility so I
know that it exists on my system.  I should note that I had to use the
"-lutil" linker option to get gcc to link in the utility library that
contains uu_lock.

Does anyone know how to get the Java Virtual machine to find the uu_lock
utility?

Thanks,
Chris Candler
(pancham@ican.net)