Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:35:27 -0600
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dg@root.com, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: bug in setsockopt()... ?

While I appreciate what David Greenman and Garrett Wollman said, I'm afraid
something got missed in the translation.  Perhaps I can clarify...

I originally said:
>Well, this thread is making me somewhat nervous.  Being really new to the
>whole FreeBSD world, I don't know where, or how, to check this 'whiteboard.'

I didn't anticipate some graphical representation or web viewer showing the
actual contents of the physical whiteboards on the wall -- if indeed there
actually was such a physical item in existance.

So as David said...
>   As for access to people's whiteboards, well, mine is hanging on my wall and
>changes all the time. I don't have an electronic version (and don't intend to
>create one). It currently has things on it such as "telnetd ptcout hang" and
>"ix driver panic", but most of the items only mean something to me.

I can understand why you might not want an electronic version of your
physical whiteboard put on the internet.  After all, who cares about the
phone numbers you might have scribbled on the bottom corner or reminders of
an upcoming anniversary/birthday (if there are any)?

And, back to my original...
>Can anyone point me to a list of the bugs in the ipc functions?  Who are the
>people working on them?  What kind of help do they need?  Can I try to abuse
>some of the fixes for them?  Needless to say, if I'm going to write my book
>and use FreeBSD as the base os for my source, I have a somewhat vested
>interest in ensuring the os works.  And more than that, ensure it is
>compatible with the other flavors of unix.

This is what I was looking for.  Details concerning the contents of a
physical item on your wall was not.  (the hint could have come when I put
whiteboard in quotes)

So now, back to my originally stated requests:

* Can anyone point me to a list of the bugs in the ipc functions?

* Who are the people working on them?

* What kind of help do they need?

* Can I try to abuse some of the fixes?

And, some further, while I admit only implied, requests:

* Is there a cental point with a list of the currently identified bugs?

* How does somone with a vested interest in them get to that list?

* How can someone like me help out?

* Are there compatibility tests with other os's?  If so, how can I see the
results?  If not, why not?  Are you waiting for someone to make it?  If it
was made, would the results be appreciated or scorned?

There are more, but I think that give a clearer picture of where I wanted
this discussion to go...

Lee